Thursday, September 1, 2011

Food for thought...

I am thinking about doing something brave.

I have an unhealthy obsession with health.

Especially food.

I LOVE healthy delicious whole food.

Philip and I talk alot about how we would totally live on a farm and sustain ourselves with homegrown food. Lots of gardens with a huge variety of fruits and veggies. Raise chickens for eggs...and maybe for chicken as food. I am sure we would have to have cattle....so Philip could have his weekly steak. (we would take it to a butcher of course. gross!!) We would have goats for milk. Fruit trees.
I would have the best herb garden and always have fresh herbs to season our handpicked veggies.

That is our dream.

Will it come true? Probably not completely.

I do not see myself or Philip riding horses and herding the cattle.
(I would like to see Philip in chaps and a cowboy hat though...just out of curiosity)

Anyways...I strive to buy and feed my family the freshest most healthy food I can find within our budget.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about going through my pantry and fridge and taking out every food that is processed. Even if its organic. If it has FIVE ingredients or less...it goes.

I really want to do this. I admit...I am TERRIFIED!!!

As hard as I try to buy whole real foods....I am sure there are more foods than I think that have more than 5 ingredients.

SO .... I am asking for help.

I want 2 more people to do this with me...

At first I was going to say 5.

But thats a LOT to ask.

I am going to do this in three steps.

1) Plan meals and snacks for the next week. (using no processed foods or ingredients...whole real fresh foods are priority.)
2) Go grocery shopping and buy everything on the list.
3) Go through my pantry, fridge, and freezer and remove EVERYTHING (yes including ketchup, salad dressings etc) that is processed. yikes!!!

for the record...i am not going to throw it away.
My plan is to box up anything that does not need to be refrigerated and put it in another room of the house.
Anything frozen will go into my deep freezer in the garage.
Anything refrigerated will be placed in the back of the fridge...in a paper sack so there is no temptation.

Who wants to try this with me???

Anybody???

Pleeeease pretty pretty pleaseeeeeee dont make me do this alone!!!!!
there is strength in numbers!!!!

This idea has been in the back of my mind for quite some time.
This lady ( 100daysofrealfood.com ) made it reality for her family.

Join me...Ill update.

My goal is to have the three steps done by Sunday.
I have three kids...simple things take a long time around here :)

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I love you! I love your motivation and your purpose!! As I sit here drinking a Coke and eating some tootsie roll midgies, I have to say that I'm sorry but I won't be joining you just yet. :) I'm trying to get settled into some other changes in our lives and our diet is just going to have to remain pretty much the same until I have room for more changes! You might talk with Michelle Clark...she did something like this a while back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just trying to cook more meals at home instead of eating out...THAT is a huge step here. You go girl! I know you can do it, even if you are the only one. We'll still support you :)

    ReplyDelete